3 Jan 2013

New Year......New Ish

Happy New Year!!!

So it's 2013 and there are no flying cars. Heck, there aren't even any fully electronic cars ( but if there are please lemme know). We don't have super heroes, cyborgs, robots doing our jobs (who really wants that though?) and there are no micro-chips implanted in us (again, if this stuff is real let me know!). Anyhow, so many of our (somewhat childish) expectations are unfulfilled. But were they even realistic to begin with? Maybe, maybe not. So let's talk about some realistic stuff.

It's a new year so we tend to have new expectations. We want different things to happen. We want better things to happen. The truth is, nothing really changes, except the date. Nothing magical happens on New Year's Eve. New Year's Day doesn't come with a Get Out of Jail Free Card or Pass Go and Collect $200 Card. We're still the same people, our situations are the same and saddest of all, our bank accounts are usually the same. So what do we do? We make resolutions and plans and all that jazz. And then we hope that just by making them, we have a better chance of them coming true. I can admit that I'd religiously make New Year Resolutions back in the day. And then I'd never see them again until it was time for the next batch of resolutions. But for the past few years, I haven't made any resolutions per se, but in my mind, I knew what I wanted to happen and I knew that I had to do things differently. Some call it making goals, some call it resolutions, some call it plans. Whatever works for you.

Writing down your resolutions or keeping them in mind really doesn't get the job done. It's a total change of attitude and perspective. It's something that's gonna have to happen everyday. So instead of waking up and heading straight to Facebook, you have to actually take your Bible out and read it, if your resolution is to become more spiritual. It ain't gonna happen if you only do it on Friday night. If you want to get in shape, you better start drinking that water and doing those sit ups. The "summer body" ain't gonna happen if you start half-assing some exercise routine in June. If you want to save, you guessed it! You have to actually SAVE the money. Notice the verbs here? All these plans and resolutions are things that we have to DO.

So for 2013, here's what I'm going to DO:
1. Keep myself and my husband happy.
2. (Try to) Be a vegetarian.
3. Keep it real.
4. Do what I love.
5. Wait on the Lord.

Pretty simple huh? Yep, that's just me.

So, before this gets too preachy too quick (and ain't nobody hate preachy like me!) I'd just like to wish you all a prosperous 2013!

As the year progresses and we look back at 2012 "Don't look where you fell, look where you slipped"

1 comment: